Profiles in Persecution: Majeed Ahmed Habib Ahmed – Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain
Majeed Ahmed Habib Ahmed is a 37-year-old Bahraini citizen who was arrested in 2013. Bahraini authorities arrested him at his home without a warrant for allegedly attending a protest, and he was subjected to torture and convicted in an unfair trial. He is now being held at Jau Prison. On …
1.Conference: “The Concept of Violence, and the Concept of Just War, in Judaism, Christianity and Islam”, Chair of Oriental Philology and Islamic Studies, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, 18–20 September 2019.
See the program at https://www.kcid.fau.de/die-forschungsstelle/aktuelles-und-ankuendigungen/ Registration and further information: email@example.com.
2. Ten Fellowships for PhD Students in the Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies (BGSMCS)
The Graduate School investigates the plurality, changeability, and global connectedness of Muslim cultures and societies. Applications with a focus on strategies of negotiating diversity, difference, and distinction, both among Muslims and between Muslims and non-Muslims are especially encouraged. Successful applicants will have a master’s degree in Arabic Studies, Central Asian Studies, History, History of Islamic Art, Human Geography, Islamic Studies, Political Science, Semitic Studies, Social and Cultural Anthropology, South and Southeast Asian Studies or Southeast European History. Our language of communication is English.
Deadline for application: 7 October 2019.
Further information: http://www.bgsmcs.fu-berlin.de/en/Bewerbungen/index.html
3. Doctoral Researcher (75%) on Turkey-related Islamic Activism in Niger, Cluster of Excellence “Africa Multiple: Reconfiguring African Studies”, University of Bayreuth
Requirements: Master’s degree in the Study of Religion or a closely related field; capacity to co-design and conduct empirical field work in Niger and Turkey. We are particularly interested in candidates who are al-ready familiar with Islam and Islamic organizations of Turkish background and have a good command of Turkish as well as French.
Deadline for applications: 15 September 2019. Contact: Prof. Dr. Paula Schrode (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Assistant Professor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, California State University, Long Beach
Preferred Qualification: Ph.D. in women’s, gender, and sexuality studies; research agenda in applied gender studies in housing policy, social welfare, economic justice, conflict-mediation etc. and specific focus within Asian diasporic, Asian-American, and/or Muslim countries, cultures, and communities.
Review will begin on 15 October 2019. Information: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/13698
5. Assistant Professor in Comparative Politics, Syracuse University
We seek candidates whose teaching and research focus on the Middle East and North Africa. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in political science or a related field or a credible expectation of completing all requirements for the Ph.D. by August 2020.
Deadline for applications: 1 October 2019.
6. The British Institute of Persian Studies is excited to partner with the Centre for Iranian Studies (SOAS) to host a workshop series on Persian miniatures. The course is designed to take participants on a pleasant journey to the mysterious world of Persian miniatures, teaching them about materials, colours, paper preparation and Persian miniature styles.
The course will run every Monday, 6:30-8:30pm at SOAS (room 563) from 7 October to 9 December 2019.
Registration: Email BIPS Executive Officer at email@example.com.
Please note, there is limited spaces available and requires a minimum of 5 students to run. Registration deadline is 1 October 2019. Fees: £270 (10% discount for BIPS members). Course fee includes the costs for materials.
For further information, see :