1.Conference: “Religious Marriages in the Mediterranean”, Mediterranean Institute, University of Malta, 20-21 March 2018
This multidisciplinary conference seeks to bring together researchers who have engaged in research on religious marriages in the Mediterranean.
Deadline for abstracts: 31 January 2018. Information: http://mailchi.mp/mediterraneanseminar/cfp-religious-marriages-in-the-mediterranean-20-21-march-malta?e=82aeb6c61d
2. International Conference: “The Druze Millennium: Celebrating a Thousand Years of Diversity”, American University of Beirut, End of April 2018 (2 days)
The conference will bring together leading researchers who have contributed to the field of Middle Eastern Studies with particular reference to the Druze. The conference will focus on the political, social and cultural evolution and/ or role of the Druze.
Deadline for abstracts: 31 January 2018, Information: https://website.aub.edu.lb/cah/Pages/Call-for-Papers-The-Druze-Millennium—Celebrating-a-Thousand-Years-of-Diversity.aspx
3. International Conference: “Religious Conversions: Then and Now”, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheba, 28-30 May 2018
The conference tries to emphasize analogies between different religions in similar and different spacial and temporal settings attempting to identify internal transformations within each of the three Abrahamic faiths and cultures regarding conversion and inter-religious encounters.
Deadline for abstracts: 15 January 2018. Information: http://mailchi.mp/mediterraneanseminar/cfp-religious-conversions-then-and-now-28-31-may-beer-sheva?e=82aeb6c61d
4. Conference: “Quran and Islamic Tradition in Comparative Perspective”, Helsinki, 30 July – 3 August 2018, Finland
Topics might include the Quran and Islamic tradition in the wider context of the history of the Western monotheisms; Islam’s profound historical relationships with Judaism, Christianity, and the biblical heritage; and comparative inquiry and intercommunal dialogue more generally.
Deadline for abstracts: 14 February 2018. Information: https://www.sbl-site.org/meetings/Congresses_CallForPaperDetails.aspx?MeetingId=32&VolunteerUnitId=518
5. PhD Studentship for Research on “Refugee Entrepreneurship: Belonging and Social Inclusion for Refugees in the UK”, University of Southampton
Deadline for application: 31 January 2018. Information: https://jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=SCDTP947717CC
6. Funded Positions for Research Projects on “Islam, the Modern Nation State and Transnational Movements” by Gerda Henkel Foundation
Deadline for applications: 16 May 2018. Information: http://www.fundit.fr/fr/calls/research-projects-islam-modern-nation-state-and-transnational-movements
7. Assistant, Associate or Full Professor in Social and Cultural History of Islam and Islamic Worlds, University of Lausanne
The successful applicant will have a PhD in History, History of the religions or a title considered to be equivalent, should be able to demonstrate solid skills in the concerned fields: thorough knowledge of at least one relevant language; excellent scholarly publications and experience in teaching, etc.
Deadline for application: 8 March 2018. Information: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=universitdP&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fUS&site=VjItQWt5MjVDbnNGNGlkV21MMFpPZDkrdz09&career_job_req_id=13102&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=jPUzFPuD3R1w0UhkWox3sl8xvXA%3d
8. Core Faculty Position in Arabic Language and Linguistics, Georgetown University in Qatar
We seek applications from associate and full professors and scholars with previous experience as a program director, center director or department chairperson as well as with previous experience teaching Arabic to heritage language learners.
Review of applications will begin on 10 January 2018 until the positon is filled. For information contact email@example.com
9. Executive Director/Editor for the Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), Washington, DC
The Executive Director/Editor (ED) holds primary administrative responsibility for MERIP and editing responsibility for Middle East Report and online publications. Qualifications: Familiarity with and commitment to MERIP; Master’s degree in Middle East studies or equivalent; book or magazine editing experience preferred.
Review of applications will begin on 29 January 2018. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Other posts:
Arabic Language Teaching Fellow, Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
Applicants should be at least ABD in a field related to Arabic/Middle Eastern Studies and should have at least three years of experience in teaching Arabic at the college level and native or near-native proficiency in Arabic.
Deadline for application: 8 February 2018. Information: https://apply.interfolio.com/47921.
Lecturer in Arabic Language, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME
One year initial appointment with possibility of renewal for term(s) of three and five years thereafter. Responsibilities will include teaching two language courses each semester, curriculum development, and active promotion of the Arabic program.
Deadline for application: 1 February 2018. Information: https://careers.bowdoin.edu/postings/4643
Assistant Professor in Comparative Politics of the Middle East, University of Arkansas
The candidate may focus on issues such as the emergence of civil society and community engagement in a complex institutional environment, gender dynamics, migration, conflict resolution, or human rights.
Deadline for application: 1 February 2018. Information: http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/24353. Posting #F384P
Three-year Postdoctoral Assistant Professorship in Middle East Studies (Humanities or Social Sciences), Rutgers University, New Brunswick
We invite applications for a non-renewable three-year postdoctoral assistant professorship from any Middle Eastern Studies discipline in the humanities or social sciences.
Review of applications will begin: 15 February 2018. Information: https://apply.interfolio.com/47764
Open Rank Faculty Position in Arabic, Claremont McKenna College, CA
The position is to begin in July 2018 for three years, with the possibility of renewal, subject to annual performance review.
Deadline for applications: 1 March 2018. Information: https://webapps.cmc.edu/jobs/faculty/faculty_opening_detail.php?PostingID=16032
Full-time Faculty Position in Arabic Linguistics, Arabic Culture or Relevant Fields, Department of Arabic Language and Culture, National Cheng-Chi University in Taipei, Taiwan
Deadline for applications: 28 February 2018. Information: https://mesana.org/professional-opportunities/employment.html#NatlChengChiU
11. Gardens of Renaissance Europe and the Islamic Empires considers the role and place of gardens and landscapes in the broader context of the information sharing that took place among Europeans and Islamic empires in Turkey, Persia, and India. In illustrating commonalities in the design, development, and people’s perceptions of gardens and nature in both regions, this volume substantiates important parallels in the revolutionary advancements in landscape architecture that took place during the era. The contributors explain how the exchange of gardeners as well as horticultural and irrigation techniques influenced design traditions in the two cultures; examine concurrent shifts in garden and urban landscape design, such as the move toward more public functionality; and explore the mutually influential effects of politics, economics, and culture on composed outdoor space. In doing so, they shed light on the complexity of cultures and politics during the Renaissance. This book points to new areas in inquiry about the influences, confluences, and connections between European and Islamic garden traditions.
Title: Gardens of Renaissance Europe and the Islamic Empires: Encounters and Confluences
Editor: Mohammad Gharipour
Publisher: Pennsylvania State University Press
Number of pages: 272
Number of illustrations: 122
Posted in: Academic items
- January 15, 2018
- 0 Comment