1.Workshop on “Islamic Reform and Modernity”, Islamic University of Applied Sciences Rotterdam, 23-24 April 2019
Questions to be answered: What do we mean by Islamic reform (Islah) and Renewal (Tajdid) in Islamic Thought? Is Islamic reform mandatory or a choice? What are the fields required to be reformed for Islamic Revival? Is Islamic renaissance possible in 21st century? Etc
Deadline for abstracts: 11 March 2019.
2. International Workshop on “Multiple Materialities of Muslim Marriages”, Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, University of Amsterdam, 13-14 June 2019
Examples of contemporary controversies include unregistered marriages, polygamous marriage, marriages with parties deemed too young or too old, temporary marriage, and mixed marriages (be it interfaith, interethnic, interracial, interclass, or transnational), etc. are welcome.
Deadline for abstracts: 15 February 2019. Information: http://aissr.uva.nl/content/events/workshops/2019/02/multiple-materialities-of-muslim-marriages.html
3. Second International NEHT Workshop on “Environmental Histories of the Ottoman Empire and Turkey”, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, 6-7 September 2019
The overarching theme of the workshop is “Historicizing Nature: Water, Forest and Land”.
Deadline for abstracts: 5 March 2019. Information: http://neht.hist.metu.edu.tr/
4. Workshop: „Multilateral Dynamics between the Middle East and Asia in the Mongol Era“, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 15 December 2019
The workshop explores the interconnectivities between Asia (Central, East, Southeast, South and North) and the Middle East (including Greater Iran, Anatolia, Syria and Egypt, Yemen, al-Hijaz) in the Mongol period (13th-15th centuries). We especially welcome studies focusing on one text, object or media as an arena of cross-cultural connections as well as papers dealing with specific cross-Asian networks (commercial, religious, scientific).
Deadline for abstracts: 11 March 2019.
5. Postdoctoral Fellowship on “Radicalisation of Islam”, Yale University
The candidate for this one-year position will teach one course related to Muslim American studies which overlaps and extends several ethnic studies subfields (such as Arab American studies, African American studies, and Asian American studies) as well as disciplines such as anthropology, sociology, history, religious studies, and political science.
6. Postdoctoral Associate on Contemporary Islam in Africa, University of Florida, Gainesville
This position is responsible for organizing workshops; teaching one semester-long undergraduate class; and pursuing a program of independent scholarship related to Islam in Africa in global context.
Deadline for applications: 15 March 2019. Information: https://apply.interfolio.com/60177
7. Visiting Assistant Professor of Arabic, Kenyon College, Central Ohio
The successful candidate will teach language–introductory through advanced courses–as well as possible courses in the candidate’s field of expertise, e.g. literature, film, etc. The teaching load consists of 3/2 course schedule.
Deadline for applications: 15 March 2019.
8. Kuwait Foundation Visiting Scholars Program for Senior Policymakers and Academics, Middle East Initiative at Harvard Kennedy School
Applications from scholars working on contemporary issues of policy relevance to the Middle East, and the Arabian Gulf in particular, in the disciplines of political science, economics, history, and sociology are especially welcome. Duration: One Semester (about four months).
Deadline for application: 17 February 2019.
9. Contributions to “The Routledge Handbook on Middle Eastern Diasporas”
The Handbook seeks original contributions that address social, cultural, political or historical aspects of Middle Eastern diaspora communities. The Handbook aims to include field-based contributions on diaspora communities in and from the Middle East, as well as more general pieces addressing theoretical or methodological issues.
Deadline for 500-word abstracts: 1 March 2019.
10. Contribution pour le MIDÉO 36 (2021): “Iǧtihād et taqlīd dans l’islam sunnite et šīʿite”
Les propositions d’article doivent être soumises pour évaluation avant le 15 janvier 2020.
11. Oklahoma State University, School of Global Studies and Partnerships, Stillwater, OK, invites applications for a Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor and Farzaneh Chair of Iranian and Persian Gulf Studies to begin August 2019. Deadline for applications: February 28, 2019. We seek a forward-looking scholar and educator with strong intellectual and leadership skills to direct the Iranian and Persian Gulf Studies Program. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an understanding of historical and contemporary challenges facing the nation, and will have the leadership skills required to lead and grow the Iranian and Persian Gulf Studies Program.
Posted in: Academic items
- February 12, 2019
- 0 Comment