1.The Department of Middle Eastern Studies in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Texas at Austin invites applications for a lecturer position in Arabic starting in fall 2019. This position is expected to teach Arabic language courses at all levels (including advanced content courses) for an average of twelve hours per week according to the needs of the program. This position is renewable annually; contingent upon budgetary funding and performance. Security sensitive position; background check conducted on applicant selected.
The successful candidate will be a native or near-native speaker of Arabic and hold an MA in teaching Arabic as a foreign language (TAFL) or a related field. Experience teaching for the Arabic Flagship Program is preferred. Applicants should have at least three years’ university teaching experience and experience teaching in an intensive program integrating the teaching of both standard and spoken Arabic. The successful candidate should have experience in coordinating multiple sections of a course.
Applicants should submit a letter of application indicating interest in the position, curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, formal student evaluations, and statement of teaching philosophy.
May 23, 2019
2. The Persian Heritage Foundation (New York) and SOAS are pleased to invite you to four lectures on Artists, Paintings and their Publics: Safavid Albums in the Seventeenth Century by Dr Massumeh Farhad, Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Instituton, Washington, D.C.
Khalili Lecture Theatre, SOAS University of London
Russell Square WC1H 0XG
Admission Free – All Welcome
16, 17, 20 and 21 May
Lecture programme available here
3. Two PhD positions at the University of Bologna (Department of Philosophy and Communication studies), fully funded for 3 years in the framework of the ERC project: “Alchemy in the Making: From ancient Babylonia via Graeco-Roman Egypt into the Byzantine, Syriac and Arabic traditions (1500 BCE -1000 AD)”, Acronym: AlchemEast.
For a full description of the ERC project, please visit www.alchemeast.eu
Applicants are expected to submit a research project (max. 20.000 characters with spaces) on any aspect of the ancient alchemical tradition. The submitted project can either focus on a selection of primary sources (depending on the period of interest, Greek, Syriac or Arabic alchemical texts) or propose a broader and more transversal investigation of issues related to ancient alchemical science and its relationship with adjacent areas, such as natural philosophy and medicine.
The posts will be based in Bologna. Deadline for applications: May 15th, 2019
For further information, please feel free to contact: email@example.com
Applications can be submitted only via the on-line system at the links
The two positions are part of the PhD programme: “Philosophy, Science, Cognition and Semiotics”. For a complete description of the programme and the required documents to be uploaded, please look at the PHD PROGRAMME TABLE available in the application webpage.
4. Six Postdoctoral and One PhD Positions, Project: “Thinking through Translocal Entanglements: Perspectives from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East” (2020-2024) at the Leibnitz-Zentrum Moderner Orient, Berlin
Specialists from History, Islam Studies, Anthropology Political Science, Sociology, Cultural Geography, and Economic History / Economic Anthropology are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 2 June 2019. Information: http://www.zmo.de/Ausschreibungen/Ausschreibung_ResearchProgramme2020_postdoc_phd.pdf
5. Two Two-Year Postdoctoral Fellowships for the Project „Refugees and the Arab Middle East: Protection in States Not Party to the Refugee Convention (REF-ARAB)“, University of Oslo, Norway
Requirements: PhD or equivalent academic qualification with a specialization in the Middle East, refugee studies, legal history, sociology of law, sociolegal studies, legal anthropology and/or a related discipline; fluent oral and written communication skills in English; knowledge of Arabic is strongly desirable. Experience from the Middle East and/or refugee studies is desirable.
Deadline for applications: 24 May 2019. Information: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/168961/1-2-post-doctoral-research-fellowships
6. Senior Lecturer in Islamic Economic and Finance, Al-Maktoum College, Dundee, Scotland
The successful applicant will have proven research and teaching expertise and be able to contribute to teaching in any relevant areas, including to Islamic Moral Economy and Finance, Islamic Capital Markets, Islamic Commercial Law and Financial Transactions, Applied Islamic Banking and Insurance, etc. Fluency in English is essential and the knowledge of one or more languages of Islam, preferably Arabic, is desirable for the post.
Deadline for applications: 13 May 2019.
7. Lecturer in Islamic Economic and Finance, Al-Maktoum College, Dundee, Scotland
The successful applicant will be able to contribute to teaching in any relevant areas, including but not restricted to Moral Economy and Finance, Capital Markets, Commercial Law and Financial Transactions, Applied Banking and Insurance, Accounting and Auditing, and Risk Management in Banking and Finance. Fluency in English is essential and the knowledge of one or more languages of Islam, preferably Arabic, is desirable for the post.
Deadline for applications: 13 May 2019. Information: https://d1ssu070pg2v9i.cloudfront.net/pex/almcollege/2019/04/10155042/Lecturer-Islamic-Finance_May-2019_Further-Particular.pdf
8. 15 Early Stage Researcher Positions in the Marie Skłodowska Curie Action, Innovative Training Network MIDA: “Mediating Islam in the Digital Age”, IISMM, Paris
The project is to train 15 creative, entrepreneurial, and innovative researchers in social and human sciences through an interdisciplinary research programme, whose main objectives are to understand the tremendous influence that digitisation and technological innovations have on Islam. The location is depending on which project the candidate applies for.
Deadline for applications: 1 June 2019. Information: https://www.itn-mida.org/callforposition
9. Assistant Professor or Associate Professor for the History of the Ottoman Empire, University of Virginia
This is a one-year salaried part-time appointment (renewable for up to one additional year), starting 25 August 2019, through 24 May 2021.
The position will remain open until filled. Information: Karen Parshall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
10. Postdoctoral Fellowships (1-2 Years) and Visiting Scholarship (One Month – 2 Semesters) in Modern Turkish and Middle East Studies, Center for Global Governance, Shanghai University, 2019-20
Deadline for application: 26 May 2019. For information and application contact Prof. Tugrul Keskin (email@example.com)
11. Middle East and North Africa Mobility Grants for Young Researchers
The aim of this call for projects is to fund research stays between Switzerland and the following countries: Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Qatar, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates.
Deadline for applications: End of December 2019.
12. Applications for Best Ph.D. Dissertation Award, 2019
Deadline for Submissions is August 15, 2019.
The Foundation for Iranian Studies invites applications for its annual award of $1000 for the best Ph.D. dissertation in a field of Iranian Studies. Students completing their dissertations between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 are eligible to apply for the 2019 award.
Dissertations must be nominated by the author’s advisor and be accompanied by the Dissertation Committee’s letter of acceptance. Both documents may be emailed provided they contain appropriate official insignias and signatures.
Applicants for the 2019 award should submit a digital copy of the dissertation, either mailed on disc to
Foundation for Iranian Studies
Bethesda, MD 20814 USA
Or emailed to
For further information about the award, selection criteria, and previous winners consult the Foundation for Iranian Studies Website at www.fis-iran.org, Programs, Dissertation Awards. Inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gholam Reza Afkhami
Dissertation Award Committee
Posted in: Academic items
- May 08, 2019
- 0 Comment