1.ONLINE: 54th Annual Meeting of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA 2020), 5-17 October 2020
Information, program and registration: https://mailchi.mp/280aec0a4672/mesa-2020-starts-monday-important-details?e=6c5710e83c
2. ONLINE: Seminar: “Migration of Iranians (Shirazis) to East African Coasts and its Cultural Impacts”, SOAS, University of London, 5 October 2020, 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm GMT
This talk by Amirbahram Arabahmadi, University of Tehran, focuses on historical relations of Iranians and east African coasts and specifically the immigration of a group of Iranians from Shiraz to the coasts and islands of East Africa about one thousand years ago.
3. ONLINE: Debate: “Protest Potentials in Post-COVID Mena: A Third Wave of the Arab Spring?”, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) and German Development (DIE), 8 October, 3:00 – 4.30 pm, CEST
Participants: Rima Majed, Assistant Professor of Sociology, American University of Beirut; Amel Boubekeur, Visiting Fellow, European Council on Foreign Relations; Irene Weipert-Fenner, Senior Researcher, Peace Research Institute Frankfurt.
Information and registration: https://archive.newsletter2go.com/?n2g=ezs426oj-ssblizts-11a9
4. ONLINE: 4th Islamicate Digital Humanities Conference of the Islamicate Digital Humanities Network (IDHN), 18 November 2020
We are calling for contributions from both members and guests employing digital methods in their research within the Islamicate Studies and related fields in the Humanities, as well as from our colleagues in Linguistics and Computer Science. We encourage submissions from those in Graduate School or beyond.
Information and registration: www.idhn.org
5. Three Doctoral Research Fellowships, Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo
Research covers a wide range of topics under the broad rubrics of religious studies, cultural history and culture, politics, and history of Asia and the Middle East. Requirements: A Master’s degree or equivalent in a discipline relevant for the project. Fluent oral and written communication skills in English. The necessary competencies and skills (such as language) for the research project.
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2020. Information: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/191127/doctoral-research-fellowships
6. Assistant Professor in International Studies (Focus Middle East), School for International Studies at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver
We invite applications from historians and anthropologists with expertise in colonialism, decolonization, and postcolonial legacies. We are particularly interested in scholars with expertise in the Middle East, South or Southeast Asia, or scholars with a global/comparative scope.
Deadline for applications: 29 October 2020. Information: https://mesana.org/resources-and-opportunities/2020/10/01/assistant-professor-in-international-studies
8. Public Webinar
Islam and Evolution – An Opportunity for Conversation
Lecturer: Shoaib Malik, Assistant Professor of the Natural Sciences at Zayed University
Date: Tuesday, 13 October 2020
Time: 2p – 4p (UAE) / 11a – 1p (UK)Academic items
- October 06, 2020
- 0 Comment