1.Annual Workshop on “Arabic Pasts: Histories and Historiographies”, Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, Aga Khan University, London, 7-8 October 2021
Papers are invited on methodologies, research agendas, and case studies that investigate history writing in the Middle East and North Africa in any period from the seventh century to the present. We are interested in papers that consider the practical and conceptual challenges of working on history writing in the region.
2. ONLINE Journée d’études EPHE « La liberté humaine en islam classique : approches plurielles » 7 et 21 octobre, 4 et 18 novembre 2021
Dans une approche islamologique pluridisciplinaire, cette journée d’étude proposera quelques éclairages sur les sens qu’a pu revêtir la notion de liberté pendant la période dite de l’islam médiéval (VIIe-XVe siècle).
3. Seminar on “Reassembling Creation: Green Ethics (GE) and the Scholarly Disciplines in the Islamic Tradition”, Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), Doha, 12-14 Oc-tober 2021
The seminar is convened by Dr. Birgit Krawietz (Freie Universität Berlin) in collaboration with Dr. Mohammed Ghaly (CILE). The papers will be published as part of a thematic issue of the “Journal of Islamic Ethics (JIE)” and/or an edited volume in the peer-reviewed book-series “Studies in Islamic Ethics”, both published by Brill.
4. International Symposium: “Yavuz Sultan Selim and His Era”, Turkish Historical Society, Istanbul University, 4-6 November 2021 Sultan Selim I was son of Sultan Bayezid II. He ruled the Ottoman Empire until 1520 when he died. During his reign, the territories of the empire expanded; and Yavuz became the leader of Islamic world. In addition to military-political affairs throughout his rule, public works, architecture, cultural-literate activities developed, too. Information: https://tamga.gov.tr/UluslararasiYavuzSultanSelimVe-DonemiSempozyumu2021
5. “Third International Conference on Teaching Persian”, University of Cambridge, 13-14 December 2021
This third conference addresses teachers and lecturers of Persian and examines developments and innova-tions in Persian language and literature teaching and particularly focuses on the importance of using Persian literature and culture in teaching Persian language.
6. ONLINE Conference “The Madrasah and the Modern Academy: Convergences, Departures and Possibilities for Collaboration”, Markfield Institute of Higher Education (MIHE) and University of Johannesburg, 14-15 December 2021
Papers are invited which engage with questions surrounding the teaching of Islam in either/both the Mad-rasah and the University setting: Pedagogical approaches utilized in Madrasah teaching and in the University setting; Navigating faith and criticality in the study/teaching of Islam; Curriculum Developments in the Madrassa and in the Academy; Future of ‘Islamic Education’; Meanings of Collaboration between the Mad-rasah and the University.
Deadline for abstracts: 1 September 2021. Information: https://tumarandishe.ir/fa/wp-content/up-loads/2021/07/%D8%A7%DB%8C%D9%86-%D9%81%D8%A7%DB%8C%D9%84-8.pdf
7. International Workshop: “The World since World War II (Focus Middle East)”, St Aloysius College, Mangalore, India, 7-9 January 2022
By the participation of international experts, this workshop will look from various fields at ‘The World since World War II’ aimed at benefiting undergraduate and postgraduate teachers/scholars of Social Sciences and Humanities belonging to the Asian region. This would help the teaching community to enlighten themselves and to form new syllabi and eventually help this knowledge percolate down the student community.
8. Part-time (65 %) Research Fellow Position (DFG Project “Explaining Middle-Power Engage-ment in External Regions”, Work Package Iran), German Institute for Global and Area Studies, Hamburg Contract of three years, preferably starting 1 January 2022. The salary is commensurate with EG 13 TV-AVH / TVöD. The successful candidate will work in the project on comparing Iranian, Saudi, and Turkish Sub-Saharan Africa policiesm, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). Closing date for applications: 31 August 2021. Information: https://www.giga-hamburg.de/de/karriere/job-re-search-fellow-work-package-iran/
9. Part-time (65 %) Research Fellow Position (DFG Project “Explaining Middle-Power Engagement in External Regions”, Work Package Turkey), German Institute for Global and Area Stud-ies, Hamburg
Contract of three years, preferably starting 1 January 2022. The salary is commensurate with EG 13 TV-AVH / TVöD. The successful candidate will work in the project on comparing Iranian, Saudi, and Turkish Sub-Saharan Africa policies, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2021. Information: https://www.giga-hamburg.de/de/karriere/job-re-search-fellow-work-package-turkey/
10. Academic Director for College of Islam Studies, University of Cambridge (UK)
Ideal candidates will possess a good mix of expertise in research and academia. You will be a specialist in teaching Islamic courses and already be working at Associate professor or Senior lecturer level.
11. Humanities Research Fellowships for the Study of the Arab World, NYU Abu Dhabi Research Institute
Applications are invited from scholars working in all areas of the Humanities related to the study of the Arab world, its rich literature and history, its cultural and artistic heritage, and its manifold connections with other cultures. This includes Islamic Intellectual History and Culture, and any areas of particular relevance to the MENA region.
Deadline for applications: 1 October 2021. Information: https://mesana.org/resources-and-opportuni-ties/2021/07/26/humanities-research-fellowships-for-the-study-of-the-arab
12. Articles for Journal “Waikato Islamic Studies Review”, New Zealand
The journal invites submissions on any topic or theme, including religion, philosophy, history, politics, sociol-ogy, culture, and law, within the broad field of studies on Islam and Muslim societies.
Deadline for abstracts: 15 August 2021. Information: http://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/UWISG/review.shtml
13. Articles on “Imperialism and Resistance in Middle East and North Africa” for Special Issue of the “Journal of Labor and Society”
Themes include: The relevance and/or limitations of classical and new theories of imperialism in engaging with the current constellation in MENAM; World (dis)order and rise of regional powers; The struggle over MENA: Transatlantic relations, rising powers and (decline of) American hegemony; Arab (counter)revolutions and external interventions; Militarization, insecuritization and sectarianization; Specific country case-studies.
Deadline for abstracts: 4 October 2021. Information: https://mesana.org/resources-and-opportuni-ties/2021/07/28/special-issue-call-for-papers-journal-of-labor-and-society-imperialism-and-resistance-in-middle-east-and-north-africa
14. Publications for Book Series “Critical, Connected Histories (Focus Middle East)” from Leiden University Press
The series seeks to explore unfamiliar social, cultural, and political issues that connect people of Asia, the Middle-East, Africa, Americas, and Europe in the modern age (since 1700). In addition to manuscripts we also accept edited volumes.
15. Proposals for New Book Series on “Refugees and Migrants within the Middle East”, American University of Cairo Press
This series explores new research on refugees and migrants within the Middle East and North Africa, drawing largely from Anthropology, History, Geography, Sociology, and Political Science. It targets work on the lega-cies of migration on the region, the agency and humanity of refugees, and their resistance to silencing. Edited by Dawn Chatty, Stacy D. Fahrenthold, and Annika Rabo.
16. Research Assistant (Praedoc) (m/f/d) with 65%-part-time job limited to 31.07.2024, Department of History and Cultural Studies – East Asia and the Near East Institute for Iranian Studies, Freie Universität Berlin
Qualification: Completed MA-level university degree in Iranian Studies or a related discipline. Desirable: Ex-cellent knowledge of Avestan and Pahlavi; Capacity of transliterating Avestan and Pahlavi manuscripts; Knowledge of Zoroastrianism and Zoroastrian liturgies; Good knowledge of New Persian is welcome. Deadline for applications: 16 August 2021. Information: https://www.fu-berlin.de/universitaet/beruf-karri-ere/jobs/english/GK-GeschKult-Iranistik-WiMi-CAB-2021.html
17. The Islamic College Presents:
FUNDAMENTAL MODERN QUESTIONS AND CHALLENGES
10 Nightly Zoom Sessions Dealing with Challenges Faced by Muslims in the West
30 Aug – 10 Sept 2021 (6 pm – 8 pm, London Time)
Each Online Short Course Will Be Followed by a Q&A Session
*FREE FOR ALL*
- August 03, 2021
- 0 Comment