1. BRAIS-De Gruyter Prize
The 2017 round is now open. The BRAIS-De Gruyter Prize will be awarded
to the best English-language doctoral thesis or unpublished first
monograph based on a doctoral thesis on any aspect of the academic
study of Islam and the Muslim world, past and present.
Applicants can be based in any country, and manuscripts will be assessed on the basis
of scholarly quality and originality.
The award includes publication of the winning manuscript and a prize of £1,000.
The submission deadline is 1 September 2016.
Full details are available here:
See http://www.brais.ac.uk/prize/2016 for details of the winner for 2016.
2. International Conference on Amulets and Talismans in the Muslim World | Leiden University | 19-20 May 2016
See for more info:
3. The East & Europe, 24-25 June, University of Amsterdam
More information and registration via http://artes.uva.nl/news-and-events/events/events/events/content-3/folder-2/conferences/2016/06/the-east–europe.html
4. Call for Papers for Open Panels During the Congress of the German Middle East Studies Association (DAVO) in Tuebingen on 6-8 October 2016
Papers are invited for the following open panels (see also the complete announcement with the panel abstracts at http://davo2016.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Call-for-papers-for-open-panels.pdf).
Please send your abstracts (up to 300 words) to the panel convener(s) and to Amke Dietert (email@example.com) before 15 June 2016. Papers can be presented in English or German. Please fill in the form for contributions which is available on the Congress website at http://davo2016.org/registration
1) Current Re-Configurations of the Urban in the MENA Region
Organizers: Christian Steiner, Catholic University Eichstaett (Christian.firstname.lastname@example.org) and Steffen Wippel, Philipps-University Marburg (email@example.com), DAVO Working Group “Middle Eastern Economies”
2) Urban Policy Making and Implementation in the Arab World
Organizer: Mennatuallah Hendawy, Cairo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) Visions of the State: People’s Perception of State Responsibilities in the MENA Region and Beyond
Organizer: Tina Zintl, University of Tuebingen (email@example.com)
4) Arabellion: Social Change in the Context of Uprise and Violence
Organizer: Helmut Dietrich, Rabat (firstname.lastname@example.org )
5) Beyond Oil: The Politics of Energy in the MENA Region
Organizer: Marie Duboc, University of Tuebingen (email@example.com)
6) Social Movements on the “Move”: Lessons from South Africa for the Palestinian BDS Movement
Organizer: Sara El-Madani, University of Flensburg, firstname.lastname@example.org
7) Studying Palestine in Germany – an Inventory
8) Women`s Rights in Iran: Flexibility in Religious Legal Opinions
Organizer: Golrang Khadivi, University of Hamburg (email@example.com)
9) Ritual and Politics in Turkey
Organizer: Charlotte Joppien (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline for abstracts of other papers and panels is 20 June 2016. See Congress website at http://davo2016.org/
5. International Conference: “Trans-L-Encounters: Religious Education and Islamic Popular Culture in Asia and the Middle East”, University of Marburg, 26-28 May 2016
This conference of the Research Network Re-Configuration aims to take a closer look at the transregional and translocal developments in Asia and the MENA, specifically focusing on the interrelated phenomena of religious education and Islamic popular culture.
Information and program: www.uni-marburg.de/cnms/forschung/re-konfigurationen/aktuelles/news/2016-05-trans-l-encounters
6. Fifth International Bara Gali Conference: “The Dynamics of Change in the Pakistan-Afghanistan Region: Politics on Borderland”, University of Peshawar, 29-31 August 2016
The conference will focus on a number of political concepts and predicates—the tribe and the state, security and phenomenology, nomos and human rights, subjectivity and discourse, and religiosity and egalitarianism.
Deadline for abstracts: 30 May 2016. For information contact Dr. Muhammad Zubair: email@example.com
7. Two Lecturers in International Relations, University of Edinburgh
While all sub-fields of International Relations will be considered, preference may be given to those with research and teaching specialisms in International Development with regional specialisms in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
Closing date: 26 May 2016. Information: www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ANO176/lecturer-in-international-relations/
8. Autumn School: “Reading Fatwas”, Annemarie Schimmel Kolleg, University of Bonn, 8-12 August 2016
The purpose of this Fall School is to introduce participants to the methods, sources, and lines of inquiry in studying medieval fatwas. Fatwas are an invaluable window on legal institutions, conflict resolution on the local level, relations of “state and society”, and local values and ethics.
Extended deadline for application: 30 May 30. Information: www.mamluk.uni-bonn.de/mamluk-events
The 3rd Middle Eastern Congress on Politics and Society, organized by the Middle East Institute at Sakarya University will take place in Sakarya, Turkey, between 11 and 13 October 2016. Over two years following the second congress in 2014, significant political developments have been observed in the Middle East. This year’s congress aims to bring together a number of new perspectives on the new political and social developments in the region.
The opening speech of the congress will be delivered by Rachid Ghannouchi the leader and founder of Al-Nahda movement in Tunisia.
Other confirmed speakers include such distinguished scholars known for their studies on the Middle East as Abdullah Al-Arian, Ibrahim Awad, Youssef Choueiri, Katerina Dalacoura, Burhanettin Duran, Michael M. Gunter, Steven Heydemann, Mustafa Kibaroglu, Abdel Aziz Sager, Emad Shahin, Karen E. Young.
The Middle East Institute at Sakarya University invites scholars, experts, policy makers and activists to participate in panels and meetings for strengthening our understanding of the new dynamics in the region.
Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2016. Please include in the body of the email your contact details and a short bio.
For further information and announcements please visit www.ormer.sakarya.edu.tr. Paper presentations are expected to be about the topics shown in below panel contents.
Posted in: Academic items
- May 17, 2016
- 0 Comment