1.Kishwar Rizvi, “It’s harder than ever to teach Islamic art — but never more important” (6 Jan. 2017, Washington Post)
2. “The ‘Dangerous Classes’ in the Middle East and North Africa”, University of Oxford, 26 January 2017
This conference takes as its central theme this notion of the “dangerous classes” and invites abstracts examining its explanatory power when applied to the Middle East and North Africa in the period from around 1800 to the present.
3. International Workshop: “The Ibāḍīyya in the Context of Early Islamic Theology and Law”, Orient-Institut Beirut, 27 January 2017
This workshop will attempt to situate the Ibāḍī case in the wider context of theological and legal thinking and its articulation in different kinds of writing during the early period (2nd/ 8th century).
4. Gerda Henkel Foundation Research Scholarships: “Islam, the Modern Nation State and Transnational Movements”
A research scholarship is usually applied for by one scholar who will work on a specific project on his own. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible. The funding period is generally between one and 24 months.
Deadline for application: 25 April 2017. Information: www.fundit.fr/en/calls/research-scholarships-islam-modern-nation-state-and-transnational-movements?utm_content=bufferf2a6b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
5. Researcher in the Field of Modern and Contemporary History of Islam, Czech Academy of Sciences
This position is open to researchers with a PhD degree in Iranian Studies, Middle Eastern History, Islamic Studies or a related field. The candidates must hold their PhD degree at the time of applying for the position or guarantee that they will receive it before the beginning of the position.
Deadline for application: 13 January 2017. Information: www.orient.cas.cz/miranda2/export/sitesavcr/data.avcr.cz/humansci/orient/akce/aktuality/2016/Research-position_modern-and-contemporary-Iran.pdf
6. Session for Doctoral Studies : “Islam, the Body and the Self”, Institut d’études de l’Islam et des sociétés du monde musulman (IISMM), Sarajevo, Bosnia, 13-17 March 2017
We invite researchers explicitly working on the body, but also those not explicitly addressing the body, to explore the relevance of the body and the self in their work.
Deadline for application: 15 January 2017. Information: https://iismm.hypotheses.org/25918
7. Articles for Second Issue of “Middle East Review”
Papers will be considered for the research section (presenting original material from any discipline that engages critically with Middle East and/or North Africa affairs, issues, or the study of these regions) and the policy section (influencing contemporary debate or policy making).
Deadline for papers: 23 January 2017. Information: https://omerjournal.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/call-for-papers-ht17.pdf
8. Appel à contribution : « MIDÉO » 33 (2018)
Le MIDÉO 33 (2018) accueille la publication d’articles ou d’éditions de texte qui permettent de contribuer à la mise en perspective d’une théologie musulmane des religions.
Date limite : 1 avril 2017. Information : www.ideo-cairo.org/fr/2016/07/theologie-musulmane-des-religions/
9. Articles for Open Access Journal “Contemporary Levant”
Open call for submissions of articles grounded in original research on contemporary politics, society and culture in the Levant region, its diasporas and neighbouring countries that have a clear relevance to it.
- “Dreams, Dice and Divination: Islamic Art and the Supernatural”
with Dr Francesca Leoni (Ashmolean Museum)
on Tuesday 31st January 2017
6:30pm – 8:00pm
Bowland Auditorium, Berrick Saul Building, University of York (UK)
Entry is by free ticket only available at www.york.ac.uk/tickets
11. Workshop – Islamic Archaeology Day (28 Jan., London)
We invite you to register online at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/islamic-archaeology-day-2017-tickets-2953…. The registration fee of £10 (£5 for students) will cover lunch, refreshments and a wine reception. We would be very grateful if you could register as soon as possible and before Friday, January 20th so we can order the appropriate amount of sandwiches in time!
- January 11, 2017
- 0 Comment