1. “24th International Congress of the German Middle East Studies Association (DAVO)” combined with the “33rd Deutscher Orientalistentag (DOT) / German Oriental Studies Conference of the German Oriental Society (DMG)” at the Friedrich Schiller-University in Jena on 18-22 September 2017.
31 March 2017 is the deadline for the registration of papers and panels. This is also the deadline for the individual registration of participants at a reduced fee.
For further information and registration see www.dot2017.de/en.
2. Islamic Art and Architecture (Zurich, Schaffhausen, 4-6 Jun 17)
Zurich and Schaffhausen, May 4 – 06, 2017
Registration deadline: Apr 30, 2017
A l’Orientale – Collecting, Displaying and Appropriating Islamic Art
and Architecture in the 19th and early 20th centuries
Prof. Dr. Francine Giese (University of Zurich),
Prof. Dr. Mercedes Volait (CNRS/InVisu),
Dr. Ariane Varela Braga (University of Zurich)
Museum Rietberg Zürich,
Moser Familienmuseum Charlottenfels der Heinrich und
Henri Moser Stiftung in Neuhausen bei Schaffhausen
Kjeld v. Folsach (The David Collection, Copenhagen),
Yannick Lintz (Musée du Louv-re, Paris), Tim Stanley (Victoria and
Albert Museum, London),
Stefan Weber (Museum für Islamische Kunst, Berlin)
3. Workshop: “Eternal World and God’s Free Will in Islam – A Diachronic Perspective”, Yale University, New Haven, USA, 31 March – 1 April 2017
This workshop will focus on thinkers who write after al-Ghazali’s landmark criticism of Avicenna’s position on the subject and go from there into the 20th century.
4. Muslim Studies Program Tenth Annual Conference: “Islam, Muslims, and US Politics”, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 12-14 April 2017
5. Postgraduate Workshop: “Producing Knowledge on Islam in Europe: Epistemology, Methodology, Reflexivity”, Cambridge Muslims in Europe Postgraduate Forum, Cambridge, 25 April 2017
This workshop addresses the related themes of epistemology, methodology, and reflexivity, which have frequently arisen when problematizing our respective productions of academic knowledge, such as the multiple forms of insider-outsider negotiation for both Muslim and non-Muslim researchers, various issues of access, trust and representation, and the politicization of the Muslim subject in a security-saturated cultural context.
6. Assistant Professor of Middle Eastern History/Political Science, Rhode Island College
Ph.D. in History or Political Science and college level teaching experience are required as well as research specialization in Middle Eastern History and/or Political Science with a focus on the region.
Position is open until filled. Information: https://employment.ric.edu/postings/2856
7. The Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at Harvard University presents
Thursday, April 6, 2017
“The Madrasa in Iran and Baghdad under the Saljuqs”
Harvard AKPIA Associate
Lectures are free and open to the public.
They are held Thursdays, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., at the Arthur M. Sackler Building,
Room 318, Harvard University, 485 Broadway, Cambridge MA 02138.
For further information, call 617-495-2355 or
email firstname.lastname@example.org or
View our previous lectures:
8. Lecture – Dr. P. Khosronejad, “Iranian Shiism, Persian Material Culture and Visual Piety”
The University of Tulsa
The Department of Religion and Anthropology
Chapman Hall Auditorium.
April 3, 2017, 4 P.M.
9. The University of Exeter is looking for a strong academic in History
of the Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula to assist in the delivery of an
exciting new strategy for Gulf Studies at Exeter. In this role you will
contribute to further enhancing the research profile of the Centre for
Gulf Studies and of the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies,
particularly in areas related or complementary to the history of the
modern and contemporary Gulf and Arabian Peninsula.
The post is advertised at either Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level –
candidates who are suitable for either level can apply.
Salary for appointments at Lecturer level: £33,943 – 41,709 per annum
Salary for appointments at Senior Lecturer level: £41,709 – £55,998
Application deadline: *20April 2017*.
All information and details are available here:
Posted in: Academic items
- March 29, 2017
- 0 Comment